After being on the waiting list for a few days I was finally approved for the course. I am a second year physics student who has decided to pursue a computer science degree instead. As a result, I have already taken a fair number of mathematics courses. In my first year I took MAT137 and along with most of the class I had a really hard time. The one subject that I really wasn't prepared for was proofs. I had never seen proofs in high school and to this day I am not at all comfortable with them. I can't speak for everyone else, but I really didn't like the way proofs were taught to me in MAT137. I'm someone who learns best by reading, but the textbook was terrible and the professor no better. In any case, I never really understood what I was doing when it came to proofs, and I really hope that this course will change that.
From what I've seen so far professor Danny Heap seems to really care about the students actually learning the material instead of just putting chalk to board. At this time I can say that I am very excited about this class.
If you are not comfortable with proofs then you should practice a lot and take advantage of office hours and tutorials to ask questions. This course is full of proofs, especially the second half, so you should make sure that you are comfortable with them.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you are excited about this class!:)