Now regarding the test, all I can say is that I found it to be very straight forward. The first problem was about the Python 'quant' functions we had seen before. This problem tested our understanding of universal and existential quantification, as well as our ability to negate such statements. The second question involved two statements similar in form to an epsilon-delta proof. It asked to negate each statement and determine which of the two, the original or the negation, was true and to explain why. The last question involved an English statement. We were asked to write in symbolic form the contrapositive, converse and negation of the statement.
I look forward to receiving the results of the test as I feel I did very well. I completed the test in about 30 mins and had ample time to review the test once over. The only thing that still bothers me in terms of course material is when we are asked to write the negation of an implication. Now I feel very comfortable with negation, however at the beginning of this course we learned that the contrapositive of say S1: A -> B is
Not B -> Not A. The converse would be B -> A, and what was called the negation would be
Not A -> Not B, however on Wikipedia at least, this is not referred to as negation but rather the inverse of S1. So negating both sides of an implication is really called the inverse and not the negation of the implication. Instead, the negation of S1 would be A ^ Not B, (read as A and not B). Now A and not B is not the same as: If not A then not B, which is the inverse, so clearly the inverse is not the same as the negation of an implication. So on the test for example, when we were asked for the negation, I simply wrote A ^ Not B, A being the antecedent and B being the consequent. I do hope that this is correct and that I wasn't really asked to provide the inverse of the implication. So at this point I see the inverse and the negation as being two separate things. I'm still not sure if this is correct or not; in any case I wonder why we referred to the inverse of an implication as the negation at the beginning of this course?
When you are asked to negate a statement / find the negation of a statement, say S1, (S1 can be anything a bunch of implications, conjunctions, disjunctions, etc), you should negate the whole statement and then solve/simplify that, i.e. -(S1). And in your case, where S1:A=>B..... The negation of S1 <=> -(S1) <=> -(A=>B) <=> -(-AvB) <=> A^-B.
ReplyDelete